Part Two – Failure
All throughout the Bible, mighty men and women of the Bible have failed, gotten up, and trusted God again. Failure is not the end: it is a wonderful teacher...if you know how to “win at failing.” God’s plan for following Him leads us back to success as we obey His directions.
What you will need: A Bible or your Bible app, a notebook, pen, and highlighter. The verses highlighted below are linked so that you can easily access them during your study time.
1. Tell us an embarrassing failure, one that you can laugh at now!
2. Accept that failure is normal. Read Romans 3:23, Isaiah 53:6, and 1 Chronicles 13:1-2. What do these Scriptures say about people in general? How does this bring about conviction and comfort to you? What is David’s specific sin in this passage? Do you see this sin in your own life?
3. Get clear about your failure. Read 1 Chronicles 15:4, 12-13 and Jeremiah 6:16. What was the difference in this second attempt to repatriate the Ark? Was it the specific rules, David’s attitude, or both? Where are some areas you have found yourself trying culture’s suggestions or strategies, rather than God’s plan?
4. Start moving again. Read Psalm 51:1-3 and 27:13-14. Notice the title of Psalm 51. When did this occur? What does David do in these first three verses to move past his sin? What hope does David have in Psalm 27? What does he believe of God?
5. Action Steps for Personal Reflection: Where are you off track and need to ask direction of God? Where have you sinned and need to repent and ask God’s forgiveness? In what areas have you been neglecting God’s plan: taking a Sabbath, faithfully tithing, regularly being in community with fellow believers, or others? Are you obeying the command to tell others the Good News of Jesus? Showing compassion for the poor? Pray about your next steps to follow His ways.
6. Check out these verses about the Ark, the Presence of God, and the Holy Spirit. (Note: for the exact specifications of the Ark and how to handle it, read Exodus 25:10-22.)
a. Read Exodus 25:8-9:
b. Read Exodus 25:22:
c. Read Psalm 113:4-6:
d. Read Philippians 2:8:
e. Read John 14:16:
f. Read 1 Corinthians 6:9: